Please note this post may contain affiliate links for products or services I recommend. This simply means if you decide to make a purchase I may receive a small commission (at no extra cost to you.) Thank you for your support!
What is Affiliate Marketing?
Affiliate marketing is the process of earning a commission by promoting another company's product or service.
What this essentially means is if there is a product or service you personally use and love, you can sign up as an affiliate with the company who created it, and promote that product or service on your website or blog. Whenever you assist in creating a successful sale, you earn a piece of the profit!
Why This is a Win-Win-Win
- You earn a commission.
- The company you promote receives a new sale.
- The customer receives a great product or service through a trusted referral.
The best part about affiliate marketing is that it doesn’t require a big investment of time and effort to create a product to sell. You can begin promoting something as an affiliate as soon as you have a platform to sell it on (like a blog or website!) and start earning income right away!
Affiliate marketing is actually the main way I have been making money online since 2015, when I started to learn more about passive income, blogging and SEO. It has opened so many new doors for me while also taking off a lot of financial stress! 🙂
How to Get Started with an Affiliate Program
This is what I generally do to get more information about a company's affiliate program:
1. Think of a product or service, specifically in your business’ industry or your blog's niche, that has helped you out in some way (here are some examples of affiliate programs I have signed up for).
2. Go to that company’s website, and scroll all the way down to the footer. You should see a link somewhere in the footer saying “Affiliates” or “Affiliate Program.” Click on that link.
3. Fill out their affiliate application form, read their terms and hit submit.
4. If/when you are accepted, you will receive an email with your own personal affiliate code.
5. You can then create a blog post (or something similar) to recommend this product or service and include the affiliate code as a link. Make sure you also use an affiliate disclaimer at the beginning of your post, like in this one.
6. When someone purchases the product or signs up for a service through your link, you'll receive a commission.
7. Save this code somewhere you can easily access it, like a Google spreadsheet, Evernote, Notes, or Word Document (you could create one file for all of your affiliate codes, if you sign up for more than one.)
3 Ways to Use Your Affiliate Code
1. Create a Resource Page on Your Website.
This page lists the products and services that you use and recommend to others who are in your industry, along with a brief description of each. It’s an easy way to help people find solutions through recommendations. Add your affiliate links to the ones that you can, and as long as you are getting traffic to your website, you’re probably going to also start seeing some extra income roll in!
2. Embed an Affiliate Link Within a Blog Post
One of the best ways to drive traffic to an affiliate link and earn commission over and over again is by writing a blog post about a specific product or service. Specifically, a “how-to” blog post or even a review about a product or service.
A "how-to" post should focus on showing people how to use a product, how to apply a technique, how to set something up, etc.
A "review" post can be your personal experience using a specific product or service and why you love it. You could also add the pros and cons that came along with your experience.
3. Embed an Affiliate Link Within a Product
Create an electronic product, like an ebook, and enter affiliate links where you see fit.
In the past, I have contributed my own perspectives to a marketing ebook for a client of mine put out. The ebook naturally contained links to various things that myself, as well as my client, recommended. Some of these links contained affiliate links, so when anyone clicks on those and makes a purchase, we also make a commission!
Affiliate Marketing Guidelines
- Only promote products or services that you know well and that you actually use.
- Don’t promote crap products just to make some extra money. Respect your readers and promote only quality products, with good reputations, that they will find useful.
- Basic knowledge of SEO is highly recommended to help your content get found online. If you'd like to learn SEO you can do so through this online SEO course! The return on investment is worth it!
Affiliates I Support
Below are a few affiliates I have partnered with: they all have programs or services I use, love and recommend!
- Adobe - Promote Adobe Creative Cloud, Adobe Stock and Adobe Document Cloud and earn attractive commissions.
- GoDaddy - Earn cash from sales when you promote GoDaddy domain + web hosting on your site.
- BlueHost - Help customers sign-up for Bluehost domain + web hosting, and you will receive $65.00 per referral.
- DreamHost - Join the DreamHost domain + web hosting Affiliate Program and earn up to $200 per referral.
- LegalZoom - Earn a 15% commission for every sale completed by a referral.
- iThemes - The iThemes Affiliate Program pays 25% in commission for sales generated through your affiliate links for iThemes products.
- FreshBooks - As a Reseller Partner, you’ll enjoy lucrative compensation for every trial and upgrade you sell.
- WPEngine - Earn $200 minimum commissions for WP Engine sales and 35% of StudioPress theme sales.
- Creative Market - Earn 10% on all referred Creative Market customer purchases for a full year.
- Restored316 - Earn 20% commissions on WordPress themes and their business planner.
- ThemeForest - Earn 30% commission on any first purchase you refer.
- aThemes - Earn 50% commission for every sale you generate.
Tools to Manage Your Affiliate Links
- Easy Affiliate Links - This plugin helps you easily manage your affiliate links all in one place.
Can You Imagine the Income Possibilities?
I highly recommend getting yourself set up on some affiliate programs and getting to work! It can really help you out, especially if you are just starting out and need some extra income to help pay your bills as you build your business!
I'd Love to Hear From You!
Do you use affiliate marketing on your website or blog? Have you had any successes with it?
Feel free to comment below!