After setting up your WordPress website, you may be asking yourself, "How do I login to my website?"
If this is you, don't worry, you're not alone! This is a very common question for many new WordPress users.
In this tutorial, you will learn:
- How to easily find your WordPress login URL
- How to bookmark your login URL so you'll have easy access to it in the future
- How to log into your WordPress Dashboard so you can start managing your site
- How to reset your WordPress Admin password
- How to add a new WordPress Admin user
To directly access your WordPress dashboard (the backend/admin area of your site), follow the simple steps below:
1. Open up a new tab in your browser window.
2. In the address bar, type in the URL of your website and then add "/wp-admin" to the end of it like this:
3. Hit the "Enter" or "Return" key.
4. If you get a screen that looks like this, click on "Log in with username and password."
5. You should then come to a screen that looks like this:
This is your WordPress login URL. You should now bookmark this in your browser so that you'll have a direct link to quickly login to your site in the future.
I usually provide my clients with their login credentials, so if you are a client of mine and you have lost or forgotten yours, you can contact me and I will help you out. If you are not a client of mine, no worries, you can login with your email address and then just reset your admin password.
Follow these steps to login:
1. Enter your username or email address.
2. Enter your password.
3. Click on the blue "Login" button.
If the credentials are correct, WordPress will now take you to the dashboard where you can start managing your site!
Woohoo! It's time to celebrate.
If you have access to your email but can't remember your password you can reset your password by following the steps below:
1. Go to your WordPress Login URL (www.yoursite.com/wp-admin).
2. Click on the "Lost your password?" link at the bottom.
3. On the next screen, enter your username or email address.
4. Click on the blue “Get New Password” button.
You should receive a link to create a new password via email.
You may need to add a new user if you’re not the only person writing for or managing your WordPress website. If you'd like to add another user, simply follow the steps below:
1. Login to your WordPress Dashboard.
2. On the left-hand side, you will see a menu. In that menu, click on 'Users'.
3. Click on the "Add New" button at the top.
4. Fill out the form and then choose a Role for your new user. Administrator is the default and it will give the user access to all the features of your website. If you need to limit the permissions of your new user, see the other roles available below.
When you're done, click the "Add New User" button at the bottom.
What Are User Roles?
User roles allow you to assign different levels of permissions to users on your website.
If you don’t want a user to have all the permissions of the administrator role, you can choose from Editor, Author, Contributor, or Subscriber. In the WordPress Codex, these user roles are defined as the following:
- Administrator: somebody who has access to all the administration features within a single site.
- Editor: somebody who can publish and manage posts including the posts of other users.
- Author: somebody who can publish and manage their own posts.
- Contributor: somebody who can write and manage their own posts but cannot publish them.
- Subscriber: somebody who can only manage their profile.
Was This Post Helpful?
Were you able to login to your WordPress website? Is there anything I missed that you still have questions on?
Feel free to leave a comment below and let me know!
If you're looking to create your own unique identity, feel free to check out my brand + website packages!